Megalomania is me!
Driving to work this morning, apparently in an interesting frame of mind, I had a realization that provides me with a perspective on religious teaching that I have never before had in quite this way. I am not entirely sure if my new realization is a) profound, b) already commonly held, or c) just plain nutty. Nevertheless, I carry on.
I have been having an increasingly powerful sense of the moment -- every moment, moment by moment -- as I put into practice all that I am learning (including, notably, the applications of co-activity). I am finding that there are increasingly remarkable outcomes when I truly engage with what my self has, honestly and in total, and as I engage with what the universe has (including my environment and the people in the environment, the particles and the space), openly and with as clear and unfettered mindframe as possible. The outcomes are that I increasingly feel a sense of comfort and assuredness in the "rightness" of whatever the outcomes may be (expressed from an internal perspective) and that the outcomes are truly good and positive for me and the world around me (expressed from an external perspective).
(Note: this external perspective is, of course, a subjective judgement of mine and there is an obvious and potentially self-fulfilling and self-reinforcing projection in the alignment of what is good and positive for me with what is so for the world. It may be that I am creating an echo chamber where my own ideas are supported by the implicit assumptions of my perspective, and am therefore deluding myself. This may be, but I don't believe it to be the case. My sense, in contrast, is that I am constructing a worldview that accurately describes reality -- or at least describes it accurately enough to be useful model. At times I feel so committed to my abovementioned faith in interactions between myself and the universe that I feel a sense of almost powerlessness to do other that what arises naturally and unrestrained by my intellect! At first, this was a bit of a scary feeling -- as if I might find myself having done something with which many people would disapprove (e.g., anti-social, violent, inappropriate to social norms). As if I am standing in the midst of messiness that I didn't exactly choose, but is the clear result of my chosen action. Now though, the scariness abates due to my increasing faith and sense of rightness, not to mention my commitment to staying engaged even if it gets messy, as opposed to my bailing or whatever.)
Something interesting occurs to me as I find myself considering how I will be as I become more attuned to the moment, more engaged with the HERE & NOW, more aware of what is within me and what is without. I find that being this way feels less like being in the world, and more like being a part of the on-going creation of the world. Naming this sense of creation feels so accurate and so complete to me that it isn't incorrect to say that it feels like being "One with God et al;" in fact it feels almost megalomaniacal!!
So I wonder to myself, what if the various religious exhortations to "Be with God," and to "Go with God," to be holy in any sense, are actually invitations to take god-like responsibility for (not to mention to take joy in) the creation of the world in which we live. One way of framing this question is to ask if, within our subjective and co-creative reality, are we and the universe not the embodiment of God (Think Yin/Yang, think "God's Chosen," think "Instrument of God's Will")? If not us, who is behind this co-active creation of what is?
Am I wrong in thinking this is a subtly, but radically, different interpretation of religious teachings? Can't most guidance offerred by the religions of the world be re-stated from this perspective to provide a uniquely individuistic frame for how we are in the world?
2 Comments:
You'd probably really like practicing yoga, if you don't already.
If yo'ure going to blog, you really should do it more often!
Post a Comment
<< Home