Friday, January 21, 2005

Creating titles sucks PG-13 penis

I'll ask the question that needs asking -- why is sarcasm considered a positive trait? Troll CL and other classified places (uh, just curious honey) and find scads of W4M's claiming themselves as "sarcastic and..." or "... and sarcastic." I don't get it. Guys, do any of you really think, "I need a girlfriend, or at least a blowjob. Oooh, I hope she's sarcastic!" Someone, somewhere, once said or wrote, "Sarcasm is the weapon of the weak." (Was it homophonically "weapon of the week?" Now that would deserve a "way to go, genius" special from you W4Ms out there (shit, my English 101 Prof said parentheticals are for people who think they are more clever than they really are -- am I trying too hard? (Why am I questioning myself so... (FUCK! I'm stuck in a loop. Maybe the non-PG13 f-word will liberate me...)))) FYI, I was also taught at one point that the root of sarcasm relates to a Greek word for tearing of the flesh. (I can't resist so I'll wallow in my self-perceived cleverness...: what does it say about a culture that has a word for tearing of the flesh?) Have I made my point or should I ramble on? Right. Sarcasm can be funny, and funny is generally good. But such funniness early succumbs to the too much of a good thing rule very, very quickly.

1 Comments:

At 10:41 AM, Blogger MES said...

I got a great response to this from a very smart woman. I won't do her eloquence justice here, but I'll share what I can with you.

For many women in our society, success in dating/mating requires a posture of indifference and irreverence with regard to topics that might be associated with desired commitment. Many a potential relationship has dissolved once the male decides the female is "too serious." Hence, in ads for social engagement, sarcasm is claimed as a stand-in for "I won't ask you to commit any more than you are moved to commit yourself."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home